It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end

------------------------------------

Sunday 13 July 2008

How It Should Be Done

I'm a writer. Complete absence of success aside, I've reached that point in my 'career' where I feel comfortable saying that. As a writer, I am, of course, interested in the work - and more specifically, the technique - of others.

BBC2 is showing Pulp Fiction tonight. I wasn't in the mood to watch the whole thing, but having watched the introduction, and the beautifully scripted and played conversation between Tim Roth and Amanda Plummer, I had a hankering to watch 'The Bonny Situation', which, for those who don't remember, is the latter section of the film after the main story arch has played out.

During the two-way between Vincent and Jules as they're cleaning the car, I realised that Quentin Tarantino possesses a talent few writers do: That is the ability to shape his dialogue to specifically fit a certain character.

It's something every writer strives for, but it's a very difficult thing to do. When reading a script or a novel, it's easy to distinguish who's saying what as a reader because we're told, but if all you have is the dialogue, it takes a very talented writer to allow you to make that distinction. None of the dialogue in Pulp Fiction could be transposed from one character to another because every line is sculpted to that specific character.

And that is why I hate Quentin Tarantino; the smug, overly talented, genius-like git...

*ahem*

(bitter? me? pfft)

Oh, and possibly my favourite line in a film, ever (albeit better in context): Vincent - "Jules, you give that fucking nimrod fifteen-hundred dollars and I'll shoot him on general principle."

8 comments:

Dee Jay said...

*nibbles lip nervously*

Egads, you realize that I will be worried about the writer in your doing a critique on the words I choose now!

Seriously, I am proud of you! It takes a lot to be able to realize you have become something you hoped to be. That sounds silly, I know. Yet, I remember the first time I watched my students really do something wonderful and thinking "wow, I AM a teacher!"

Congrats, Bebbs!

MABrock1980 said...

I think you meant, "...writer in you..." dear, but that was a noble effort, nonetheless ;p

Thanks, Deej :)

Yeah, it feels good to know where you're going, even if you're not entirely sure of how you're going to get there...

Anonymous said...

*pats on the back* Well done, Spaghetti.

This is the part where I cringe away in fear... because I've never seen Pulp Fiction and I know you're going to point and laugh or be shocked or something. *le sigh*

MABrock1980 said...

*points and laughs in a shocked fashion*

You are so uncultured ;p

Eclectablog said...

First of all, Twisteh, get thee to a dvd rental shop and rent thee Pulp Fiction post-haste.

Second of all, I don't think I could stand to be in the same room with Tarantino for more than about 3 minutes. The guy is a complete tool. He is, however, as you say, a complete fucking genius.

MABrock1980 said...

A tool? You think so?

I imagine he'd be difficult to keep up with once he starts, but I'd love to bare witness to him in conversation.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, some films are amazing to watch just for the fantastic scriptwriting. I don't understand how some can flow so naturally and have so many layers.

MABrock1980 said...

It takes skill.

Skill a precious few possess.