It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end

------------------------------------

Wednesday 30 July 2008

And all the whores and politicians will look up and shout 'Save us!'...

...and I'll look down, and whisper 'no.'

And thus opens Alan Moore & David Gibbon's Watchmen. It finally arrived this morning (after two weeks of waiting) and I'm loving it. Grim and brutal, highly stylised and a fascinating read so far.

It's one of four books I now have on the go. Not bad for someone who's always been a slow reader.

The majority of my reading time is going towards Philip Pullman's The Subtle Knife; the sequel to the truly magnificent Northern Lights/The Golden Compass. It seems a lot more complex than Northern Lights, which makes it more diffuicult to get into, but Pullman's characters and style and the scope and quality of the story as a whole keep me hooked. I would focus more attention towards it, but it's part of a rather large omnibus edition of His Dark Materials, so it isn't exactly portable.

So, when out and about, I'm reading Terry Pratchett's Making Money; the sequel to the truly magnificent Going Postal. Let's face it, Pratchett's a safe bet. Making Money picks up right after the events of its predecessor and is so far just as funny, just as intelligent and just as all-round entertaining.

Finally, there's China MiƩville's Perdido Street Station. I get the feeling I've mentioned this one before, but can't remember where and when. It's a very difficult one to describe, being a very dark, dour, often depressing and overtly intense, but ultimately fascinating fantasy. It's a heavy read, which is why I started reading The Subtle Knife in order to break it up, and if I'm honest, I probably won't be going back to it till I've at least finished Pullman's great opus. Still, it's inventive and original, with writing of a very high standard, and I know one or two of you out there would get a kick out of it.

I'm now off to do some shopping...

2 comments:

elentari said...

Pullman's Dark Materials are amazing. But I will warn you that when you get to The Amber Spyglass you will be scratching your head a little. But I still want a daemon!

MABrock1980 said...

As does everyone, me thinks...