It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end

------------------------------------

Monday 10 September 2007

The life of a student

Today was my first day at college. Not a day to be hungover. Alas, my cousin got married yesterday, so hungover I was.

The service wasn't so great. Of course the bride looked beautiful and the groom looked terrified, but there was far too much focus on God (it was as if the whole thing was about honouring Him rather than two people being in love) and a bizarre speech from the vicar's wife demonstrating her somewhat misguided view on what love is.

Fortunately, that was just the start of proceedings. A lot of waiting around while pictures were took and a couple of whiskeys later and we finally got to eat! Beef - mmmmmmmmm. A full roast, in fact, followed by sponge cake!

Then it was time to drink, along to the medley of corny party tunes provided by (I kid you not) the 'Penetration Disco'.

And, boy, did I drink! I can't remember the last time I got well and truly wasted and, to be honest, I didn't last night, but a mix whiskey, lager, champagne, lager, aftershock (heavy-duty spirit), whiskey, aftershock, whiskey, lager and more aftershock, left me feeling a little tender today.

Also, I did the Macarena *shudder*

Tenderness aside, today went fine. I didn't get lost, I wasn't late and I enjoyed a foot-long Sub of the day for lunch (turkey breast, ham and cheese on honey-oat bread - oh yes). I'm not entirely convinced by our english language tutor - she seemed a little baffled and has no clue whatsoever how to present to a class - but the course seems to be just what I've been looking for. Tomorrow I start english literature and psychology. I imagine it's going to be an interesting day...

14 comments:

Welsh Pixie said...

Wooo hooo! *runs around making loud banging and clashing noises*

MABrock1980 said...

Yeah, thanks. That's just what I need right now ;p

Anonymous said...

It's nice to see that, even though you started an English Lang. class today, you still can't spell lager... :P

Huzzah for the Macarena! Beaten only in cheesiness by Saturday Night :D

MABrock1980 said...

You mean you've never heard of the alcoholic beverage, larger? It looks like lager and it tastes like lager, but it's slightly different to lager, in that it's spelt wrong...

Dee Jay said...

What the hell is the Penetration Disco? *intrigued look* It gives a whole new spin on Saturday Night Fever, ya' know?

Ugh about the hangover. Ya' know, I'm blessed and have never had one. *breathes a sigh of relief* They truly look and sound miserable.

MABrock1980 said...

It was a regular ol' wedding reception DJ, setting away a party compilation and heading off to the bar 'til it was time to change the CD, but his kit had a big, blue banner on the front that read Penetration Disco. Maybe it meant something different to him (though I can't imagine what).

NysaK said...

Yaya for more learning!
ok I'll whisper now because of the hangover. :)

MABrock1980 said...

Don't worry, the hangover's long-since past. Shout all you want ;)

Kelly Ann said...

Penetration Disco.. yeah that peaked my interest too. For all the wrong reasons. I shall ask my G to join me for a dance. LOL

MABrock1980 said...

Enjoy...um...boogying on down together ;)

Dee Jay said...

I swear my mind went straight to the gutter with the Penetration Disco. *nodnodnod*

Anonymous said...

I'd like to note that I've not made one comment on the Penetration Disco *keeps straight face*

MABrock1980 said...

You don't have to say it. We all know you're thinking the same as the rest of us ;)

cherreh said...

Yes. The Sub of the Day.
The fulltime student's end-of-pay-week saviour.
I know, I know.

Try the south-west steak one with cheese on it. Orrrhhhh. So good.