It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end

------------------------------------

Tuesday 2 September 2008

And It Was All Going So Well

Today started brightly enough. I've been waiting over a week to take delivery of Warcraft III and it finally arrived this morning, along with my new Visa card and the train tickets for the final leg of my move on the 15th.

I played through the introduction to Warcraft III and had fun doing so.

Then it all started to go a bit wrong...

Enrolment day at university has always been a messy one. Queue after queue wrapping around a sports hall of tired and frustrated new students all waiting for hours on end to get the relevant forms checked and signed and their ID cards given.

This being the internet age, however, enrolment can now be done online. The first step is to arrange payment of the tuition fees, if it hasn’t already been handled by the LEA (Local Education Authority). Mine hadn’t been so I checked the documentation they sent me to see if it said when they would be.

It didn’t.

Instead it claimed that I hadn’t even applied for them!

Traumatised, I tried to call the student finance direct helpline to find out what was going on, while I checked my online application to see if I’d really been that stupid.

I hadn’t.

There it was, plain as day: Do you wish to apply for a loan to cover your tuition fee costs? - Yes

Trauma turned to confusion and I made sure my eyes weren’t deceiving me by reading it a few times over while I waited in the queue for an operator.

Twenty minutes went by.

Displeased, frustrated and increasingly anxious, I decided to head down to the council offices and speak with the LEA people face-to-face. The woman I talked to looked confused, took my forms, disappeared into an office for ten minutes and returned with the expression of someone about to deliver bad news.

It seems that the LEA will only provide a loan for tuition fees four times and, since I’ve already had it twice before, they’re not going to give it this time and will instead hold it for the second and third years of the course. The £3,145 required for the first year, I’ll have to drum up myself.

I’m pretty sure, if there weren’t people standing around waiting to be dealt with, I still wouldn’t have swung for her, but it did take a lot of restraint not to put my fist through the glass panel behind me.

I tried to get some kind of explanation out of her as to why this restriction would be in place, seeing as they’re loans and are paid back eventually anyway, and why I wasn’t told my application had been unsuccessful a month ago when the decision was made and I might've had some time to prepare, but the best she could do was look uncomfortable and mumble something about that being how their system works.

I spent a coupla more minutes pointing out the gaping flaws in that system, increasing her discomfort in front of the other people she’d soon have to deal withh, before storming off in a bit of rage, leaving, “Nice of the Local Education Authority to completely fuck-up my education,” as a parting shot.

I pondered a little retail therapy and perhaps a large cuppa joe, but was in too bad a mood and chose to come straight home.

After gathering myself for a few minutes, I looked into the fee payment process on the uni’s site. Two instalments are taken in November and January, so I at least have some time to work something out. The measly £500 in my savings isn’t going to cut it, but it’s a start. Regardless, I set up the payment plan and completed the enrolment process.

Wanting to turn my mind to something else, I set about sorting through my DVD collection to figure what’s going with me. Pixie gave me the idea of taking them in a CD carry-case to save room and I fortunately have two; a 33 slot and a 64 slot. Still, deciding what stays and what goes was not
I don’t think I can afford to buy another case…

4 comments:

elentari said...

Deeep breaths. The academic system is flawed... on both sides of the pond! My advice? Take up male prostitution and hope it pays the bills ;)

MABrock1980 said...

Why does everyone keep suggesting that?

elentari said...

Because you know it's the truth!

Unfortunatley, yes, I do choose my classes by the number of books required for it when I literally cannot afford the books for the class ($360 is a little too much for just one class)! Good theory (more books equals more interesting) but I had a feeling it just wasn't gonna work that way...

Maybe I should take up prostitution as well?

MABrock1980 said...

Hehe - we could start up an international hooker ring for struggling students.