It's strange the way things work out, but they do work out in the end

------------------------------------

Saturday 30 August 2008

Appealing to Old and New?

With the release of Death Magnetic only a couple of weeks away, the first couple of new Metallica tracks have hit YouTube.

First, The Day That never Comes:


Seeing as this was the first track to be released to the press, it's probably going to make some people nervous, especially if they give up after the first chorus as, up until that point, it is very remniscent of their 'Black Album' and Load/Reload days, but as the track moves on, it becomes increasingly louder and thrashier and builds to a dizzying climax. I like it!

Secondly, My Apocalypse:


An IGN review of this is what first made me aware the tracks were now out there in the ethos. In it, the reviewer defended the criticism he laid upon The Day That Never Comes;

"But all the extra verbiage in there about not being able to go back again – yeah, that part is wrong. I was wrong. I am here to admit that. James, Kirk, Lars, Robert, and even Rick – if you are reading this, all I can say is: I AM SORRY. I am coming to you as a man humbled."



He then goes on to claim that My Apocalypse is possibly the band's best song since Master of Puppets.

Now, this may be a result of my only coming into the band in the days of Load and Reload (I was an ignorant youth; what can I say?), but I personally prefer the former to the latter. It might have a very subdued opening, but the thrash-like ending puts me in mind of the band's progression from then to now, making me think the soft introduction was probably purposeful.

My first reaction to My Apocaplypse, however, was, Messy. Very messy. It kinda reminds me of first hearing Frantic on St. Anger; that almost desperate need to sound as thrash as possible in order to put the the '90s behind them.

That said, the track sounds a lot better on a second listen.

No comments: